The Policy Working Group provides the policy foundation of the Blue Carbon Initiative. Expert members of the Working Group focus on
- Providing a framework for policy development that maximizes conservation of carbon in coastal ecosystems and mobilizes the implementation of that framework; and
- Building an integrated blue carbon community that supports policy implementation.
To work toward these goals, the Working Group is
- Developing new policy measures and financial incentives where needed, to enhance climate change mitigation through conservation, restoration and sustainable use of blue carbon;
- Identifying current climate, coastal and ocean policy issues and opportunities and evaluating the applicability to blue carbon conservation, restoration, and sustainable use;
- Supporting the highest priority activities identified by the Working Group; and
- Identifying additional policy and economic analysis and necessary partnerships to implement policy priorities.
The Working Group consists of experts in environmental policy and economics and project implementation from within the climate change and marine conservation communities. The Working Group was formed in July 2011 to support activities that identify opportunities to integrate and implement blue carbon ecosystems in existing policy frameworks. The Working Group collaborates with blue carbon scientific experts to ensure the most current and accurate science is available to decision-makers at the highest levels of government.
- Policy Working Group National Recommendations
- Policy Framework Executive Summary
- Policy Framework
- Blue Carbon UNFCCC Recommendations