The Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG) hosted the International Blue Carbon Initiative Scientific Working Group meeting October 20-24, 2014 in Rio Grande, Brazil. The workshop brought together the research community and regional leaders to assess the status of Brazil’s coastal wetland systems and identify knowledge gaps and opportunities for future research. Meeting attendees took an active role in developing a regional network of blue carbon experts and identifying priority geographies, projects and needs.
The five primary goals for the meeting were:
- Increase awareness of the importance of coastal wetlands for critical ecosystems services specifically including carbon sequestration and storage and the potential for increased emissions when these systems are degraded.
- Assess the coastal carbon distribution in Brazil, including compiling existing data and analysis.
- Identify priority regions for science, management and pilot project development. Identify opportunities and challenges to achieving this in the region.
- Explore ways to increase capacity through development of blue carbon networks and identifying possible regional Blue Carbon focal points.
- Increase education and outreach to local communities, scientists, and policy makers.